Saturday, January 25, 2014

...almost 4 years later

I just found an email I sent to a friend a few years ago.

In it, there was a link to this blog "Exploring Motherhood"... a blog that I started 4 years ago, when I was a single mom living in Atlanta with my then 5-year-old son.

Seeing the words "Exploring Motherhood" again after so many years made gave me a bittersweet feeling.  I followed the link and saw this, the title of my last post:

Friday, April 23, 2010

No TV Week - Day 5


Ironically, just yesterday my now almost 9-year-old son said to me, "Mommy, do you know what my least favorite month is?"

I had no idea.  I guessed September (back to school month).  I was wrong.

It was April.

It was April because he remembered that "No TV week was in the month of April".  We only tried it twice in his lifetime, but he remembers it better than I do.

I thought he would get a kick out of the blog, so I read it to him.  He loved hearing about himself.  I loved reading about the sweet little 5-year-old that he was and reminiscing about life back then.

I also loved reading the blog for another reason.  I felt a connection with the younger me who struggled and suffered through single motherhood.  I felt compassion for her.  And I felt proud of her.  I felt proud of me.

What an amazing and unexpected feeling.

I am so grateful.

I am grateful for then and I am grateful for now.

Now, almost four years later, I am living in another state, married to my baby's daddy :-), living all together in a beautiful old home of our own.

How things have changed.  And in many ways they are exactly the same.

Hmmm, sounds like something I would like to explore more...the similarities and differences between being a single mom and being a married mom...now that I am further down the journey of motherhood.

More to come...